Wednesday, September 17, 2008

comprehensive thoughts on three blogs

My first blog ever.

Pertaining to the assignment in my class I'd like to talk about three individual blogs that I visit and occasionally take the time to digest.


I am a tech junkie, I've used computers my entire life and have grown up in this "Me" generation that is absolutely obsessed with technology. A lay person might ask, what might it mean to be a tech junkie? It means that I needed the iPhone 3G when it came out, that I will not watch television that is not at least 720 psi HD quality, and the Xbox 360 is one of my best friends (not really, but kinda?).

The blog that I visit to keep myself up to date on all things technologically concerned is engadget.com. Each blog post focuses on a new product or software and basically highlights the features and rumors about it. I like this post titled "Lenovo rolls out bundle of new enviro-minded ThinkVision monitors"


Lenovo's already kicked out a pair of low-end
ThinkVision monitors
that promise to do their small part for the
environment, and it's now finally expanded that enviro-mindedness to some of its
higher-end offerings. At the very top of the heap is the 24-inch L2440x
(pictured above), which boasts the usual 1920x1200 and some less-than-common
white LED backlighting, which is apparently a first for a Lenovo monitor. Those
looking to keep things fluorescent-backed can also opt for the otherwise
identical L2440p, or you can drop down to the 22-inch L2240p monitor, which also
scales the resolution back to 1680 x 1050. Rounding out the latest offerings are
the 17-inch L1700p and 19-inch L1940p, which unsurprisingly offer the biggest
energy savings and, like the other models, also pack less mercury content than
your usual LCD monitor. Look for the whole lot of them to be available by the
end of this month, with prices ranging from $230 to $750.

Although may be totally superfluous to you, an environment friendly LCD monitor sounds like bliss to one like me, who is always looking to use as little mercury in my monitor as possible. Kudos Lenovo and thank you for the awesome information edgadget!


Every time I open up Mozilla Firefox on my computer there is one site I visit before any other, not my e-mail, not Facebook, but a little ol' news blog called The Drudge Report. The Drudge Report, run by news junkie Matt Drudge, brings news headlines from publications and pictures from all over the world to the homepage of his site for viewers to link to. His site is so visited that it is held in high regard in Washington D.C. as a place that can make or sometimes break a politician's (cough...Hillary Clinton..cough) career, obviously depending on a story and/or accompanying photograph he finds and links to. Although most of his content is from other news sources he does post rumors that he has received from confidential sources as developing stories.

Right now at 4:26 PM on September 17th, 2008 he has a developing story as follows:


FLASH: FRIEDMAN TOPS WOODWARD IN BOOK SALES RACE... 'HOT, FLAT, AND CROWDED'
SCANS 69,285 IN OPENING WEEK, BOOKSCAN REPORTS, OVER 'WAR' 55,432...
DEVELOPING...


Hopefully in a few hours we will see the full story, with Matt Drudge reporting I have no doubt that we will.


The last blog I have in my mind is one that means a lot to me personally. Yes, I Jared Molton am a Prestidigitator, otherwise called magician. Over the past few years I've had the great opportunity to work at the oldest magic shop in the United States in New York City, Tannens Magic Shop.
Over the past few months Tannen's has started their own blog, Tannen's Magic Blog, that is linked to from their store website. The blog represents news within the magic community and therefore is something that magicians like me would hold a lot of interest in. The blog has updates on TV's favorite magician, David Blaine, and his newest
One of my favorite magicians Guy Hollingsworth, who had left the field of magic to pursue a career in law for several years has returned again to art of mystery, so the Tannen's Blog reports.

Guy Hollingworth is an English conjuror known for his skillful card magic and elegant performing style. He created a sensation in the magic community with his trick The Reformation, in which a signed playing card is torn into four pieces and then visibly restored one piece at a time. He is well known for his acclaimed book, Drawing Room Deceptions. Some of his card magic is also featured in his videos The London Collection and Routines. He was also featured on NBC's "World's Greatest Magic III" TV special.

Hollingworth is currently performing "Expert at the Card Table" at the Assembly's 2008 season at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe this August. The show contains deception, betrayal and cheating at cards. Renowned conjurer Guy Hollingworth performs dazzling exhibitions of card chicanery and incomparable legerdemain whilst unraveling the mystery of its enigmatic author.


I was a huge fan of Hollingworth's only book, "Drawing Room Deceptions" and so his return to the magic circle is great for all magicians who are interested in very simple but yet oh so complicated card tricks.

Until next time, adieu.







No comments: